Monday, August 15, 2016

RE-UP: Jimi Hendrix "The Ross Tapes #2" - 2CD - various recordings

These tapes are from Ross. He was known for low gen newly circulated genuine Jimi studio jams and concerts. His Maui tape
sounds like no other and the most aesthetic to my ears of all sources. The songs on most of his stuff is at the right speed. Not sure what gen his stuff is, but it sure sounds clean n neat n complete. These pre-date DAT tape too.

Now this oughta prove interesting.. My friend knew Ross better. He actually bought tapes from him, I didn't(except for Maui). He saw him several times. I had bad luck and didn't go to the conventions at the same time that he did. Since he only went in summer and every other month I guess. Anyway one day my friend tells me that Ross is switching to cdr from cassettes. At the same time bootleggers at conventions were getting squeezed by all the folks that could burn discs. The "real" silver bootleg cdeeze were drying up rapidly too. Anyway Ross made a final offer one summer by providing an 11 tape series of all his studio stuff. My friend only had enough money to buy 4 of them. He took #2, 3, 6, & 7. Shortly after buying these tapes Ross generally dissappeared from the scene.

These uploads are right off the raw cassettes, no altering at all. Some will include a really short disc two.


I SURE WISH I HAD THE OTHER 7 TAPES! I like the sound.

"I can hear the low-gen ambience." :-)


ROSS-Tape 2-A
1-Further On Up The Road-1/Astro Man-3 Jam intro [june-24-70]............2;07
2-The Things I Used To Do-4......................[may-7-69]..............7;11
3-Once I Had A Woman-2 ..........................[jan-23-70].............5;37
4- L I S T B F M A Y.............................[jan-23-70].............4;11
5-Instrumental Improvisation with Cox............[june/july-70]..........2;15
6-Dance-2 [aka Ezy Rider something]..............[jan-68??]..............4;07
7-Night Bird Flying-5............................[june?-70]..............6;03 [longer than on Vomit cd]
8-Drone Blues-1/Drivin South-11..................[april-22-69]...........8;55

<Tape 2-B>
9-Hoochie Coochie Man-2..........................[dec-69]................5;47
10-Midnight Lightning-5..........................[july-14-70]............6;32
11-Easy Blues-? "rolling man"....................[aug-28-69].............8;10
(ftbfs says ver 2 fades @ 5;05 and that the full take runs
to the end @7;50. And my ver here has LL's solo @ 1;36 intact)
12-Izabella/Machine Gun-3...(short boot version).[aug-29-69].............8;31
13-Blue Suede Shoes prt 1.......................[jan-23-70].............4;44
14-Blue Suede Shoes prt 2.......................[jan-23-70].............7;45
15-Mighty Mouse Is On His Way....................[june-24-70]............0;04

                          

No comments:

Post a Comment