Wednesday, October 28, 2015

RE-UP: Jimi Hendrix live in Detroit 1968 - 1CD - November 30

Jimi Hendrix Experience
Cobo Arena
Detroit, Michigan
November 30, 1968

Quality: B-

Intro
Fire
Spanish Castle Magic
I Don't Live Today
Sunshine Of Your Love
Voodoo Child (slight return)
Red House


Notes: This is the first source of this show which popped up in the early 1980s and I beleive I was among the first to get it. It was originally though to be from May 2, 1969. It has a weird stereo effect, but adds to the ambience. The majority of the 38 minutes here runs fine, but the second part of Voodoo Child and Red House go a bit haywire on the tape. I tried my best to fix the segement, but it still is rough.

The show almost didn't happen. From Noel Redding's diary:

 “November 30 is the date Jimi nearly missed. Mitch and I caught the plane and Jimi never showed. We were met in Detroit by people from Warners and taken to the hotel. [Michael] Jeffery then phoned; “Jimi has freaked out” he says and is refusing to come. I don’t know what Michael said to Jimi but it must have been heavy, for Jimi decides to come at the last minute, though they have to hire a Lear jet to get him there on time. In spite of it all, the show is a good one. Probably played well out of sheer relief.”

Download this bootleg here

No comments:

Post a Comment